Friday, October 25, 2013

ALL IS LOST REVIEW

'All Is Lost' is Written and Directed by, J.C. Chandor and the film stars Robert Redford.  This film is the tale of a man (Redford) who's sailboat is hit by a floating container on the Indian Ocean.  When the man's boat begins to flood, he must try to stay afloat, battle the elements and survive.

I really enjoyed 'All Is Lost'.  The film only has about three lines of dialogue.  The rest of the film is all emotion and physical actions.  This film is a dramatic survival thriller.  'All Is Lost' is remarkably tense and beautifully directed.  I must say, the sole reason this film works is Robert Redford.  I don't think any other actor could do what Redford did in this film.  He was incredibly compelling to watch and although he rarely spoke, I felt a deep connection to the character.

That being said, this film has issues.  The movie is a bit too long.  There are some scenes that are repetitive and could have been cut.  Even though Redford was great, I wanted more depth to this character and that issue falls on the shoulders of the writing.  There were also a few continuity issues that took me out of the film.

Having said all that, 'All Is Lost' is a very intense and beautiful film that I thoroughly enjoyed.  The film begs the question, what would you do to survive and where is your breaking point?

I give 'All Is Lost' 3.75/5 Stars.

- George McCann

No comments:

Post a Comment