Thursday, October 3, 2013

Let Me Clarify My Thoughts on "Breaking Bad"

My thoughts on the now finished AMC Television Series “Breaking Bad” have been the topic of much controversy lately; both in my personal life and on social media.  So here’s the deal.  Everyone and I mean EVERYONE  I know, urged me to watch “Breaking Bad”.  “George, you gotta watch this show.”  “George, you are going to love this show.”  “George, this is the best show of all time.”  “George, as an aspiring writer, it’s an obligation that you watch this show.”  Those were just a few of what my friends had told me.  So I started watching the show…

Here is where the trouble began.  Now before I go any further, I want to say, ON RECORD, overall “Breaking Bad” is a remarkably well written, directed and acted show.  That is not in dispute.  I do feel that Season 1 was a little bit weak but that’s not the point.  The point is this; I don’t like the show.  I don’t enjoy it.  Although the show is filled with remarkable talent across the board, I don’t enjoy it.  I feel like that is the key word here, enjoy.  The subject matter in the show I find to be sad, disturbing and overall it just puts me in a bad mood.  I don’t enjoy watching Walter White go through hell with cancer, lie to his family AND himself and then go cook crystal meth.  It doesn’t make me want to watch the show and it doesn’t make me like the main character.

Walter White is a man who feels like he’s been screwed over his whole life; so after he gets cancer and can’t afford treatment, he decides to cook meth?  Friends offered to pay for his treatment.  He wouldn’t accept due to pride.  I get it.  The fact remains, this man is dealing drugs, killing people and slowly dying inside.  Not a cheery day at the office. 

Some people say to me, “George you love “Sons of Anarchy”; isn’t that the same thing?"  My answer is, no.  It is not.  “Sons of Anarchy” is an over the top, pulp action show.  It is so over the top that it is not based in reality.  You can’t take it too seriously.  The same cannot be said for “Breaking Bad”.  I understand the quality of this show is phenomenal but I also understand that much of it feels real.  Maybe too real for me and while it is fantastic television, it’s too much for me. 


   -     George McCann

1 comment: